Keeping a pet in your home and looking after its needs is easier said than done, especially if you are a dog-parent. Dogs are one of the most intelligent and sensitive animals that can be domesticated. That’s why they’re more than just pets. They’re man’s best friend and a great companion. They’re also one of the most loyal animals and you can count on them to protect and love you. So, if you’re a proud paw-parent and want to shower your pooch with a lot of love and affection, here are the most essential dog supplies that you must have. These supplies will not just make your pooch feel a part of the family, but also keep him or her healthy and happy. So, take a look below.
What Does Dog Supplies Mean?
Dog supplies refer to all those dog products that are related to the care and nourishment of dogs. This includes everything from their food and treats to clothes and toys. It also includes their grooming items, beds and furniture, bowls and collars. Simply put, everything that dogs need to stay comfortable and healthy.
Types of Dog Supplies
With so many different types of dog supplies in the market, it is natural to feel overwhelmed. What you need is a checklist of the most important supplies for your pet that you have to be ready with. Keep reading to know about the best dog products that you need for your furry friend.
Dog Food – Your dog needs to eat just like you. When considering what dog food to buy for your pooch, you need to lay emphasis on your dog’s lifestyle and needs. There are various dog food options available in the market today, along with the option of giving your dog home-cooked meals. Some of the varieties of dog food options are given below.
- Dry dog food – These foods are known to have very low moisture content. They include flake foods (flaked cereals), extruded foods (kibbles or shaped pellets) and mixers/biscuits. They are usually packed in bags, but the biscuits are generally offered as treats and that’s why packed in smaller boxes. Dry dog food contains meat, which might have been added in a dried or fresh state. You can offer your dog dry food as it is or mix it with a bit of gravy or water. Read the manufacturer’s instructions as to how best it can be given to your dog.
- Wet or canned food – These foods have a relatively high moisture content and they are available as chunks in jelly, chunks in gravy and meatloaf format. Wet foods generally use frozen or fresh meats and there are no preservatives. Also, they tend to be less carb-heavy compared to dry food. If you are wondering whether canned food is right for your dog, you can find out all about it in our review. You can also check out the top 10 products in the category that you can purchase.
- Store-bought raw dog food – These use unprocessed, fresh ingredients and this guarantees maximum nutrient retention.
- Dehydrated dog food – These use minimally processed, fresh ingredients. They retain maximum nutrition after they’ve been processed. Just the moisture is removed. Preservatives are not used.
- Freeze-dried dog food – They’re raw or minimally processed. They are lightweight, portable and shelf stable. Good for dogs that have a poor appetite.
- Vegan dog food – These make use of vegetables, fruits, legumes, cereals, vegetable oils, nuts and soya instead of processing any part of an animal. These are non-animal based foods.
- Grain-free dog food – No-grain dog foods are made without rice, corn, wheat and other grains. Since dogs need carbohydrates for energy, these foods use pea flour and potatoes as an alternative. A grain-free diet is typically recommended to dogs who tend to put on weight and become obese.
- Indoor dog food – These are specifically tailored to cater to your dog’s quiet lifestyle. They’re formulated with just the right amount of calories that are needed to maintain an optimal body condition and body weight.
- Outdoor dog food – If your dog is highly active, you need to feed him a calorie and carbohydrate-rich diet where he gets the required energy. Your vet can guide you in the right direction and our dog food reviews can help you in making an informed decision.
If you’re bringing a pup, you need to feed him puppy food until he is ready to consume adult dog food. Puppies need extra nutrition that will fuel their rapid growth. You can check out our list of top 10 puppy foods that you can give to your newest family member.
Dog treats – Treats can be a reward for their good behavior or as an incentive during training. Moreover, treats can enhance your dog’s healthy diet, but it should not be more than 10% of your dog’s daily food intake. Treats are available in various shapes, flavors and sizes. The types of treats available are:
- Crunchy treats;
- Soft and chewy treats;
- Jerky and free-dried treats;
- Bone-like treats and dental chews;
- Hooves and animal bones;
- Special diet treats for dogs suffering from diabetics or obesity;
- Vegan dog treats.
If you are giving your dog any kind of chew as treat, make sure to supervise. Chews and dog bone treats can also be given to puppies who are teething. Dental treats take care of the teeth in a flavorful way.
Dog toys – Dogs have a playful nature and this is why you have to get cool things for dogs in the form of toys. Toys will keep them entertained or occupied when you’re not at home. Also, it presents an amazing bonding opportunity when you use toys to play with your dog. If your dog likes to chew stuff, make sure to replace the toys before they become a choking hazard. Some of the popular dog toys include:
- Dog squeaky toys;
- Dog bones;
- Rope toys;
- Puzzle toys.
When you’re selecting toys, try and think about what your dog likes.
Dog harness and leash – You need a dog harness so that the pressure is removed that a collar would exert on the neck of your dog. A harness comes with two points of connection, one at the backside and the other on the chest. This enables easy handling and pulling is restricted when you take your dog for a walk. The dog leash is also important dog stuff and it is attached to the harness or collar. It allows the dog-parent to easily lead. The leash must be a minimum of fifty-six inches in length. Dog harnesses and leashes are available in varied colors, styles and sizes to suit small, medium and large dogs.
Dog collars – Your dog must have at least one collar. For everyday wear, you can get a collar made of fabric, nylon or leather and it may come with a quick-release fastener or buckle. The collar is important because of this where your dog’s license tags and identification will be attached. But, keep checking frequently to ensure that the collar fits snugly. If your dog is growing, you have to replace or readjust the collar so that your dog doesn’t feel suffocated. The best fit is when you can insert two fingers between your dog’s neck and the collar. Collars are available in myriad fashionable color and print choices. You will also find GPS dog collars that allow you to keep a track of your dog’s whereabouts.
Dog muzzles – They are devices that are placed over the snout of a dog and it restricts them from opening their mouth, but they can breathe as muzzles come with air holes. They come in various sizes and shapes, and are designed to fit comfortably. When choosing a muzzle, consider the breed and size of your dog.
Dog tags – Dog tags are one of the most important dog products that you must invest in. The primary use of the tag is to provide identification and it contains all the details regarding the dog like, medical condition, special diet and even the phone number and address of the dog-parent. Tags can be made of stainless steel, brass and aluminum. They are usually attached to the collar.
Bowls & feeders – Your dog needs two sturdy bowls, one for food and one for water. Dog bowls and feeders are made of stainless steel and plastic, and they’re available in different colors and sizes. You also need a dog food container where you’ll store your pooch’s food.
Clothes & accessories – Are you a fashion enthusiast? If so, you can dress your dog in cute and stylish clothes. From casual, cool clothes to raincoats and sweatshirts, the fashionable clothes available in the market for dogs will wow you. You will also find dog accessories that can be attached to the collar or with their clothes. You will find scarves, umbrellas and shoes for dogs.
Dog flea and tick treatment – This should be a part of your dog supplies. Due to their fur and contact with other animals outside, dogs are bound to have tick and flea. You have to be on your toes and treat it properly so that it doesn’t blow out of proportion and becomes a health hazard for your dog and also people in the house.
Choosing Dog Grooming Items
It is not enough to feed your dog, taking him out for a walk and giving him lots of snuggles and cuddles. You also have to put in place a grooming ritual for your dog so that he stays healthy. Just how you would need to visit a spa or salon to get groomed, dogs also have their needs. But, it may not be possible to always find a dog salon near your house so you have to be prepared with the following dog grooming products and put it under the list of essential dog supply.
Dog nail clippers – Every 3 to 4 weeks, you have to clip your dog’s nails or it may lead to health issues. Since their nails are thick, you cannot use a clipper for human use.
Dog shampoo – To keep your dog clean, you have to give him a good bath and for that, you need to stock up on good quality dog shampoo. There are shampoos created for dogs that deal with specific problems like, itchy skin, hair loss or skin sensitivity. There are also shampoos for keeping ticks and flea at bay. You can check out our top 10 dog shampoo products that you can use for your dog.
Other grooming supplies include coat scissors and clippers, brush and comb, doggy toothpaste and toothbrush and so on.
Selecting Beds and Other Furniture for Dogs
You want your dog to feel at home. This is why you have to make space for his personal bed and furniture. With your dog having his own bed and furniture, you can save your furniture from being damaged by your adorable, well-meaning, but destructive dog. Here are some of the furniture that your dog needs to feel at home.
Dog bed – Dog beds are one of the top dog products and they come in various shapes, sizes and colors. Make sure to consider your dog’s breed when buying a bed. If your dog is still growing, you might have to replace the bed once he grows out of it. You can buy cushion or pillow beds, orthopedic beds, heated dog beds and so on.
Dog cooling mats – These are a life-saver during the summer months. Dog cooling mats will help keep your pet comfortable when the weather is extremely warm and uncomfortable.
Dog ramp – Dog ramps are good for small dogs and dogs suffering from joint ailments. This will allow them to move about easily without having to leap too much during a day.
Your dog is a member of your family and should be treated that way. Make sure that you stock up on the aforementioned dog products to give your dog a comfortable, happy and healthy life.