A pet can bring a new sense of happiness and light in your life, especially kittens and cats. These little balls of fur are perfect to add a fun and exciting new element to your life while becoming your new friend. Cats are very proud, independent, and solitude-loving creatures and if they match your vibe, they can be a great companion for you.
Unlike other pets, cats do not need your constant attention to stay healthy and happy. They are quite content in themselves and will provide their company when needed. This is why some people even say that you do not choose a cat, a cat chooses you.
But just like any other young pet, kittens also have some basic needs that the owner needs to fulfill. A little kitten requires the right kind of food, nutrition, toys, grooming essentials, and furniture to grow up healthy and strong. Let’s find out about all that your little feline would need in its new home to stay happy, healthy, and satisfied at all times.
The first and foremost requirement that every new pet owner has to take care of is the kind of food their pet would be eating. Cats are predominantly carnivores so they rely on nutrients derived from animal products mainly. The diet of your cat should be high in protein, have moderate fats, and low carbohydrates. Several other nutrients are required to create a balanced diet for your cat. The food that you choose for your cat should be wholesome so that it gets all the required nutrition without having to succumb to supplements.
There are several kinds of cat foods you can choose from depending on the kind of nutrition you are looking for and the diet of your cat:
- Wet: Also known as canned food, wet foods for cats have about 75% water content which makes them very hydrating and nutritious. Wet foods are best suited for cats who are finicky about drinking water and consuming liquids as the water content of the wet food keeps them ideally hydrated. The gourmet canned cat foods usually contain whole meats, fish, and taurine. Several different brands offer quality canned foods for kittens and cats. You can check our reviews to find the best cat wet food.
- Dry: As speculated, the water content in dry foods is very low ranging from 6 to 10%. Dry cat foods are generally made from poultry and meat by-products, grains, fish, and high fiber ingredients. Since most cats find dry foods less appetizing than wet canned food, premium options come coated with a layer of animal fat that works as a flavoring agent. Check out our top picks to find the best dry food for your furry little friend.
- Grain-Free or Semi-Moist: Grain-free cat food contains moderate water content, usually around 35%. This type of cat food product is largely made of meat and by-products but some also contain soybeans, grain by-products, and cereal. Semi-moist foods have proven to be more palatable and digestible for cats.
- Diabetic: Just like humans, a diabetic cat needs a special diet to live a healthy life. There are specially packaged foods available for diabetic cats to ensure that optimum nutrition reaches them. The thing to look out for when food for a diabetic cat is the percentage of carbohydrates. A low carb diet is advised for felines experiencing high blood sugar levels while a diet slightly high in carbs is taken for the ones with low blood sugar levels. There are several commercial canned foods available here for you to choose from to get the best one for your little cat.
- Vegan: Vegan cat foods contain proteins and vitamins that are plant-derived and offer the same level and quality of nutrition that animal proteins do like Vitamin A, taurine, and arachidonic acid. Vegan cat foods have gained quite a lot of popularity and several brands offer commercial vegan food for kitten and cats. Since cats are carnivores it is found that introducing them slowly to vegan food is the best practice.
- Senior Cat Food: When looking for a well-balanced diet for a senior cat, you need to make sure that you choose carefully. A good senior cat diet contains high quality and quantity of proteins and low fat as well as low carbohydrate content. It is recommended to stick to canned foods when to ensure that your cat gets the right kind of nutrition. You can check out our recommendations to find the best senior cat foods.
- Food for Sensitive Tummy: All nutrients in moderation is the key to plan a good diet that will not upset the sensitive stomach of your cat. After you have ruled out other health complications, choose a diet and ingredients that are not the cause of the allergic reaction since some certain kinds of proteins can be a cause of the allergy. Have look at our top 10 recommendations and find the food that your beautiful feline would love.
Kittens grow fast, very fast. They are generally grown twice and even thrice their weight and size in the first few weeks that they spend with you so it should be made sure that they get the optimum number of calories and nutrition that they need during this period. Kitten needs thrice the amount of energy in comparison to adult cats 30% of which should come from proteins. Looking out for recommendations and comparing options before you settle on a brand for the food for your little one.
Toys are very important for the holistic development of your little kitten and not to mention the obvious, they are fun and will keep your cat engaged. Any toy which is built for the said purpose should be fine to choose. To make it simpler, you can get toys with small bells or other jingling items as they entice cats, stuffed mice, toys with cords, or simple balls of yarn. While you are at it, consider buying catnips and small toys made to keep up with the dental health of your cat. Ensure that the toys you buy do not come with swallowing and choking hazards.
Collars, IDs, and Tags
While most people think that a collar is just another accessory, it is way more than that. Think of collars as a safety net for your pet cat primarily since the collar and the ID tag attached to it will help people return the cat to you if it ever escapes or gets lost. Microchips attached to ID tags are the new favorites of people these days.
Safety aside, a collar and ID tags still comes with the unsaid condition of them being beautiful – something that would suit your little furry feline and will make them look even prettier. There are several kinds of materials, designs, patterns, colors, and combinations for you to choose from.
Another feature that you should look for when getting a collar for your cat is safety unlock. This feature unlocks the collar itself when the collar is stuck somewhere and there is no one to help the cat free it. There can be several instances when you may escape the house and wander into a trap or get stuck in a fence by the collar. If safety unlock is a feature of that collar, she will be able to escape and not succumb to choking.
The step to litter train your feline is choosing a quality litter box and kitty litter. Just like food, collars, and other products, cat litter and litter boxes are also manufactured by different brands. When choosing a litter box, ensure that you take care of the length of the box. The ideal size would be longer than the length of your cat and slightly wider.
Kitty litter generally comes in two different types – clay and clumping. Clay litter needs to be changed or replaced regularly after scooping the sand that surrounds the part where the cat defecates. Clumping litter is a little less work than clay litter. The sand from clumping litter gathers and form a clump around the area where the kitty pees or poops. Simply scoop sand from those areas and you are done. Keep adding more sand to ensure the box is well equipped. You can find some great scented and non-scented variants in our top recommendations.
A good carrier for your cat will spare you the trouble that you might face when taking it out to the vet or a friend’s house or when simply traveling with it. Cats are curious and that means they will scan every inch of the car if left free to wander around. Not that this is a bad thing but it can cause accidents since you can get distracted. So, it is safer that you keep a nice carrier handy.
An ideal carrier for your cat will be the one that can allow it to stand easily and even move around a little bit. So, size is the first and foremost thing you need to take care of when choosing a carrier. Then comes the question of material and type. There are three main types of carriers you can look into Carboard, Hard-sided, and Soft-sided carriers. Cardboard carriers are the most budget-friendly but prove to be flimsier in comparison to other variants. If you are looking for a temporary set up then a cardboard carrier will work just fine. The hard-sided variant is good to pick when you want a more permanent and sturdy arrangement since they are easy to clean, well-ventilated, and spacious. Soft-sided carriers are similar to hard-sided but just a little more luxurious.
Ceramic and stainless-steel bowls are the best kind of materials to look out for when buying a food and water bowl for your cat since both of these materials are food safe and easy to clean. Although, the stainless-steel bowls are sturdier than the ceramic variants. Find a bowl that can contain at least 2 scoop or servings of both dry and canned foods. The same goes for the water bowl. It best to find two separate bowls for food and water to keep things as sanitary as possible. Our list of the top ten feeding bowls for cats will make choosing the right kind of bowl very easy.
A smarter way to time the meals of your cat, cat feeders are like food dispensers for your cat. They work the best with dry food though. You can simply fill the feeder with food and time every meal along with the volume that you need to be dispensed. If you are not home for a long duration and live alone then a food dispenser aka cat feeder can be a very useful thing to make sure your cat is well-fed.
A bed is a necessary element to keep your little kitty well-rested throughout the day. No matter where your cat decides to sleep, it is still the right thing to find it a bed of its own. The only problem here is that there is an array of choices when it comes to bed. You can rely on our top choices for cat beds to make sure that you get the right one.
Apart from beds, there are several other things that you may need to keep your cat engaged. Consider cat furniture some sort of evolved, luxury toys. Cats love to jump on things, explore new places, and most of all, they like their personal space. Some of the top choices for you to pick from are cat trees, cat houses (they are big enough to accommodate the bed as well as some of the toys), and cat hammocks.
Another thing you may need is cat scratch pots. These posts will safe you and your expensive furniture from being scratched all over. If there is anything that your cat loves more than jumping around on high spaces, it is scratching.
That beautiful heavy fur of your feline some maintenance which makes grooming essential a very important part of owning a cat. Nail Clippers, shampoos, combs, brushes, deshedder tools (to remove the extra fur) and dry shampoos are some of the basics that you would need in your arsenal.
Cat Flea and Tick Treatment
From combs to powders, lotions, and even collars, there are several flea and tick treatments that you can try. Unlike other cat supplies, it is no necessary to keep these treatments handy but it is smart to make sure that you are prepared for a flea or tick situation so that extra visits to vets can be saved. We have carefully curated list for cat flea and tick treatment medicines and equipment to make your decision-making process easier.
Tags: pet care supplies, playpen for dogs, martingale dog collar how to use, double dog food container, water fountain for dogs, safe dog nail clippers, dogs supplies, best dog leash for pulling, fancy cat tree, automatic cat litter boxes