Best Dog Shampoo
Do you know dogs carry their unique smell? This smell can be nice or even horrible if they’re not groomed well. It can get quite stinky if you don’t wash your dog regularly and their smell can cling onto objects in your home, furniture, and even your clothes. As a dog owner, you might not be able to smell their odor but others will for sure be able to pick up on it. Trust us, you don’t want to have a reputation for having smells clinging to you that are not your own. This is why it’s important to wash and groom your dog every so often when they need it. But you don’t want to use any type of shampoo to do this, it’s important you use dog shampoo.
Unlike our human hair shampoo, dog shampoos are specially medicated to help remove germs and ticks. Plus, they don’t cause any damage to your dog’s coat. Similarly, the vetirinarian approved dog shampoos help keep your dog’s PH levels right. If you were to use human shampoo it could disrupt these levels and trigger rashes and redness on their skin.
These shampoos also get rid of the powerful wet dog stench also, as they often contain fragrances. Typical fragrances dog shampoos have been vanilla, lavender, orange, chamomile, and more. What’s even better is a lot of these dog shampoos being hypoallergenic and don’t trigger many allergies, so it’s less likely your dog will develop an itch. To know more about good dog shampoo, check out our table of top picks.
What is dog shampoo?
Dog shampoo is a type of shampoo which is specifically designed for dogs. They specifically help maintain the PH balance of your dog's skin and stop them from being prone to any acidity. If their skin is acidic, they’re more likely to be prone to bacteria, parasites, and fungus. Similarly, if the PH balance is not right, they could have lots of scratches and abrasions.
If you’re looking to get dog shampoo, it’s important you know that there are different purposes and types available. The different types of dog shampoo are:
This is a type of shampoo that can be used on your dog that does not trigger any allergies. This dog shampoo contains natural ingredients which have aloe vera and Vitamin E and aloe vera. It also serves as an effective moisturizer for your dog when washing them. This type of shampoo is used best to condition sensitive, flaky and dry dog skin.
Similar to the hypoallergenic shampoos you can get medicated shampoo specifically meant for dogs. Mainly these types of shampoos are used to treat seborrheic skin conditions like yeast, fungal and skin infections. It also helps treat dandruff and more medical issues. You can get all-rounder shampoos that treat lots of conditions and also medicated shampoos which treat specific issues. To know more about what medicated shampoo is best for your dog, you should speak to a veterinarian who will be able to provide you with an insight.
Flea and tick shampoo
You can get flea and tick shampoos that will help remove ingredients from your dog’s coat. These shampoos contain a chemical known as pyrethroid which has organic compounds that kill the nervous system of these animals.
Regarding waterless shampoo, you might also be familiar with the term called dry shampoo. This is a special kind of dog-friendly shampoo you can place on your dog without having to wash them. It’s similar to dry shampoo for humans, all you do is spray it onto their coat when grooming them. The specifically formulated ones for dogs have natural ingredients and are not toxic.
If you have a young dog, you will want to use a puppy shampoo. These shampoos are softer and gentler. They have a no-tear formula and it won’t hurt their eyes if it gets inside. If you wish to wash your puppy, you should make sure that you don’t wash them too frequently to strip their natural oils away.
Aloe vera shampoo
There are certain shampoos with aloe vera which can help your dog's itchy skin. Such Shampoos can help but some that have high aloe vera content can cause a lot of danger and damage to your dog.
The black shampoo is more of an aesthetically pleasing shampoo that can help intensify the coat color of your dog. This shampoo works well if your dog has a black, brown, or dark coat as it stops it from becoming dull.
If your dog has a certain odor to them, you can get a deodorizing dog shampoo which helps remove their bad stench. These are specifically designed to remove.
Moisturizing dog shampoo
If your dog suffers badly from dry skin, you can get special shampoos that help had moisture and soak their skin. Some of these shampoos contain different types of oils like tea tree, flaxseed, rosemary, and more. Most of these dog shampoos are hypoallergenic and work to restore your dog’s skin.
Septic soothing shampoos
If your dog is known to have spots, infected skin, or red skin, then you can get special septic shampoos that help take the pain away from their skin.
How to choose
The dog shampoo industry is amazing, just like our own shampoos we see in the grocery store, we can be overwhelmed by choice. To help you narrow down which shampoo is the best, here are some things to look for:
- Look for specific problems it treats: The dog shampoo you’re looking to buy should be able to treat specific problems. Most importantly they should be able to help their skin and not cause any irritation or problems to it. While there are varieties on the market, you must first consult with your vet about why your dog needs dog shampoo and then make an informed choice about which one is best.
- Read product reviews: It’s always good to read information online to see if there have been any reviews about the dog shampoo you’re interested in buying. If the product has over 60% worth of positive reviews, then you should consider buying it.
- Make sure it has FDA approval: It’s important you check that the shampoo you choose has been approved by the FDA and your veterinarian. If it’s not been verified, its effectiveness and safety is questionable.
What to consider when buying dog shampoo?
You should also consider the following when buying dog shampoo:
- Your dog’s allergies: Not all dog shampoo is the same, you should check to see if your dog has any allergies to any ingredients in it before buying. It’s always good to read the label first and also, if possible, get allergy tests done before you use it on your dog. You can also try testing your dog’s allergies to a shampoo by doing a patch test on their coat to see if there are any small side effects.
- Check if they’re organic and biodegradable: When buying a dog shampoo, you should check if they’re organic and biodegradable. These types of shampoos are less likely to cause a reaction on your dog’s skin and are gentler on them.
- Make sure it maintains the PH Balance: One important factor when choosing shampoo for your dog is that it must maintain your dog’s PH. All dogs have sensitive skin and they must have a healthy PH level ranging from 2.2-7.5. The dog shampoo you choose should keep your dog’s PH in this zone.
Dog shampoo is something you should be using every time you wash your dog. There are a range of dog shampoos out there which help treat fleas, bad skin, are hypoallergenic and help a lot of conditions. To know which shampoo is right for your dog, always speak to a first who will advise you the type of shampoo to look for. Most importantly though, never buy human shampoo for your dog, this will disrupt their PH balance and cause skin irritation.
Tags: pet care supplies, personalized cat tag, what is the best kitty litter, liquid dewormer for cats, best dog car hammock, safe treats for dogs, best dog dna test, stairs for dogs, grass for cats, military dog tags